FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The United Presbyterian Church of Johnstown. - The original members of this society were from Scotland, or of Scotch descent. The church was organized in March, 1828, in connection with the denomination known at that time as the Associate Church of North America. In 1858 this body united with the Associate Reformed Church, and thus established the present United Presbyterian Church.
The original members were Daniel Walker, John McNab, John D. Walker, Gilbert Walker, John Walker, Duncan Campbell, Peter McKie, Peter Stewart, David Walker, Robert Kirkpatrick, Elizabeth Walker, Margaret McNab, Catherine Walker, Jane Walker, Margaret Walker, Catherine Campbell, Girsel McKie, Jane Stewart, Isabel Walker, and Catherine McNab.
The first elders were, John McNab and John D. Walker. The successive pastors have been: Rev. J. G. Smart, 1830-1837; Rev. A. Gordon, 1844-1845; Rev. A. Thomas, 1858-1863; Rev. J. A. Williamson, 1864 to the present time.
The first church edifice was a frame building built in 1830, on North Market Street. It was afterwards sold and remodeled into a glove factory. The present handsome brick structure on South Market street was erected in 1869, and is one of Johnstown's most imposing church edifices.
OFFICERS FROM 1902 INCLUDE:
1894 - 1903 Dr. Joseph H. France
1903 - 1928 Dr. Charles McKenzie
1929 - 1957 Rev. Raymond A. Ketchledge
1957 - 1962 Rev. Nathaniel T. Goodwin
1962 - 1968 Rev. Robert S. Magee
1966 - 1969 Rev. Berry L. Cox Assistant Pastor
1969 - 1985 Rev. E. Elwood Carey
1970 - 1975 Rev. Barry Paul Murr
1998 - 2012 Dr. Earl S. Johnson
2014 - present Rev. Leonard Sponaugle
CURRENT CHURCH STAFF:
Organist/choir director Ann Stefka
Youth Director Nicole Carey
Sexton Paul Wittman
Secretary Patricia E. Hamel
Treasurer Laura M. Ruehle